Friday 20 September 2013

ART: Coco Chanel: A New Portrait by Marion Pike, Paris 1967-7

Hello all, 

Yesterday, my friend Rose & I went to The Fashion Space Gallery, that forms part of London College of Fashion. Presently they are showing `Coco Chanel: A New Portrait by Marion Pike, Paris 1967-7`, which being a fashion & Chanel fans caught our attention.

I have to say, it was a rather small space. I want expecting anything on a V&A type scale, however it only took about five to ten minutes to complete the whole collection. Nevertheless, the idea & concept is lovely.  It is a celebration of the legendary Gabrielle `coco` Chanel and Californian artist Marion Pikes friendship, formed in 1967.  

According to The Telegraph The designer had refused Pablo Piccasso's request to paint her portrait, but allowed Pike, whose 1966 portrait of former US president Ronald Reagan covered Timemagazine, to do so.
They went on to become great friends and Pike was known for wearing Chanel suits when she wasn't working.
Honestly, I hadn't heard of Marion Pike prior to this, but I liked her free, sketchy style.


Sorry I was very rubbish & didn't note down the names of the art works. But I think the use of colour & the aforementioned free style to me scream Paris & the pace of life. My only gripe is the earthy, muddy colours. Chanel, for me, is all about the monochrome. 

Along with the chanel paintings & some other landscape, still lives & a self portrait, some Chanel garments, letters & photographs accompanied & completed the exhibition.





The small space was very intimate & it was interesting reading about her private life. If you're into fashion, art or a Chanel fan, I'd definitely pop in, as its free & just of Oxford street.

 I've never really done any art type posts, but I am about to start a part time degree so hope/expect to be visiting more galleries.
Would you be interested in more art based posts?

No comments:

Post a Comment